Tired of seeing lizards crawling around your walls and your cooked food? Yeah, me too. If only we could get rid ourselves of them for good.
Some of us might tend to tag unkempt hygiene practices for the lizard gala time, when the truth does not lie under questionable hygiene practices.
Lizards are natural domestic reptiles and they search for warm places to thrive in. Hence, they decide to take a trip to our residences and find out all the treasures that it beholds, i.e., food, warmth, their favourite insects to feast on, reproduction spots,etc.
It is essential that you get rid of these creatures for good because of the unhygienic trails they leave behind. Let’s not forget, lizards feasting on our hot cooked meals is poisonous for us and might have serious consequences for our health.
How to get rid of Lizards?
- Garlic– This first remedy that we are going to talk about can be found in your kitchen itself. It has been effectively proven that the stench of garlic repels lizards and they feel scared to go anywhere near garlic.
Lizard Repellent using Garlic?
Garlic prevents lizards from setting camp in your house. To get rid of lizards from your house, all you need to do is to peel the garlic and place each clove in different corners of the house.
If the lizards go anywhere around and near these corners, they are sure to be repelled by these and move far away from places that carry the garlic stench.
- Onion- Going hand in hand with the garlic hack, onions too are a great way to get rid of lizards in the house. Similar to garlic cloves, the smell of onions repel lizards.
Lizard Spray with Onion Juice?
Get them to come near an onion, and they will definitely dart the other way. Make a killer spray by mixing water with onion juice and spraying it in areas where the lizards usually dwell. Otherwise, you can just simply place onion peels all around the house and watch as the lizards stop appearing.
- Coffee and Tobacco balls– Coffee out of all beverages makes a really good lizard repellent. There is a poisonous element in the coffee that is detrimental to the lizard’s senses.
Here is what kills Lizards
When coffee is mixed with tobacco and spun into balls, it definitely becomes a lizard killer. Make these balls using coffee powder and the tobacco bits from cigarettes. Use some water to create a paste and place them on every corner of the house.
The lizards will either die or leave your house immediately.
- Eggshells– This home remedy is a popular one and I am sure you must have heard it from your parents and grandparents. Eggshells are great to get rid of lizards for good.
If you place an eggshell in front of a lizard, you will see it walk the other way round. This is because there is something in the appearance of eggshells which makes the lizard scared. They feel like there is a bigger creature than them which is approaching them. They feel like these eggshells are harmful to them and this is a trait found universally in lizards.
So be assured. You can never go wrong with an eggshell.
- Pepper Spray – Murderers and rapists are not all you are saving yourself from when it comes to pepper sprays. It provides safety to you outside as well as inside the house.
Anti-Lizard Spray with Pepper
A pepper spray can be used because the pepper in the bottle irritates the lizard, whose skin is allergic to pepper. Hence, this is a number one trick on how to get rid of lizards in the house.
All you need to do is spray the pepper all around the corners of your house and watch as the lizards squirm their way out of your windows and doors for good.
How to keep Lizards away from you
Coldwater is a very easy and effective tip to get rid of lizards in your house.
There is a simple logic behind this. Lizards thrive in heat and are repelled by the cold. When they come in contact with cold water, they tend to run in the other direction.
So, the next time you see a lizard, splash some cold water on it and watch as it makes its way out of the room.
Getting rid of baby lizards in the house
Anything with a lot of spice in it repels lizards. That is why tabasco sauce is a good option to get rid of lizards.
To make a proper mixture, take tabasco sauce and dilute it with water to make a spray. Put it in a bottle and spray on every corner of the house. This will ensure that the lizards run in the other direction.
However, make sure that you cover your nose and mouth to avoid ingesting the spray as it might lead to fatal consequences.
How to catch a lizard in the house using Flypaper?
The sticky material which the flypaper is made of, makes the lizards stick to it once it crosses its path.
Make sure you buy enough flypaper to capture all the lizards at your place because lizards as reptiles are bigger than flies. Once the lizards are trapped, dispose of them with the flypapers immediately.
Do not keep them inside your house for a long time. It is very unhygienic.
- Naphthalene Balls– Naphthalene balls are something you use when you want to keep your clothes from smelling foul. These balls are used to keep the stench off your clothes because they might get damp from being in your cupboard for a very long time.
However, these same naphthalene balls can be used to get rid of lizards in your home. The excessive amount of sulfur present in the naphthalene balls irritates the lizards. On coming in contact with these naphthalene balls, they tend to find their way out of the trap.
To optimize this trap, put naphthalene balls in every corner of the house and live a lizard-free life.
- Phenyl Tablets– These tablets are very effective in getting rid of lizards. The odor disturbs their senses as they are allergic to it.
Just like the naphthalene balls, put these phenyl tablets all-around your house to set up traps for the lizards.
Once they run into these tablets, they will either be intoxicated by these tablets, or they will run away from these. This is a definitive and proven home remedy to get rid of lizards.