Shampoo bars have always been popular for those who love to travel or are outdoor enthusiasts. The reason why they love this stuff is that it is TSA-friendly and does not take much space in their bags unlike the liquid shampoo bottles does.
Shampoo bars are not only good for traveling but these products are considered much better for the environment than the shampoo bottles. It is useless to say that every skincare and hair care products have been harming the environment because of the chemicals present in them and their extreme packaging.
So, would you like to shift from your regular shampoo bottles to shampoo bars? Well, before that you need to know numerous benefits that it can provide and also some of the cons related to it. These shampoo bars do not only protect the environment but can also make your life a lot easier.
WHAT ARE SHAMPOO BARS?
Shampoo bars are essentially similar to the liquid shampoo, except that they are packed into a solid bar form. Shampoo bars were very popular until the liquid shampoo bottles came into the market in the 1940s.
Shampoo bars are specially designed to remove dirt and build-up product from your hair, leaving you with clean and shiny hair. Shampoo bars are generally formulated for all hair types and the ones with high-quality works as effectively as liquid shampoo in bottles.
BENEFITS OF SHAMPOO BAR
Long-lasting: Shampoo bars are really affordable as well as they last longer than the commercial shampoo bottles. A shampoo bar of a standard size can be used to wash hair for about 80 times, which is generally more than a shampoo bottle.
Since many shampoo bars are made up of only natural ingredients, therefore you need not apply hair conditioner after that. This further saves you money.
Convenient to use: One of the paramount benefits of shampoo bars is that they are convenient to use. You don’t have to tackle with the slimy bottles while shampooing your hair, just grab the bar and lather up. It can be stored in a little plastic tin and won’t take much of your space. These are particularly very useful if you are living in a small apartment and you don’t have much space in your shower area.
Shampoo bars can be your best buddies while you go for traveling. These shampoo bars don’t have to go in liquid bags since these are TSA approved as solids. Also, they are much smaller in size than your regular shampoo bottles, so they can occupy little space in your shoes which you are going to purchase for your next vacation.
Leakage: The worst thing about liquid shampoo bottles can be their tendency to get leaked while you are traveling. However, you can get relief from this problem by using a shampoo bar, as it won’t leak.
Environment-friendly: As demand for environment-friendly products is increasing day by day, shampoo bars are also becoming popular. Many people are looking for ways to cut off plastic in their lives whether it is a toothbrush or plastic shampoo bottles.
Replacing your shampoo bottles with shampoo bars can provide you an eco-friendly beauty routine. Shampoo bars don’t come in plastic packaging and are biodegradable. Also, they are do not contain toxic chemicals that could harm aquatic life.
Natural ingredients: Shampoo bars including the most famous ones- Lush shampoo bars and ethique shampoo bars are made up of organic ingredients. It does not contain artificial fragrances that can irritate your skin and can cause allergy as well. They are free from harmful chemicals such as propylene glycol, formaldehyde, and sodium hydroxide.
DRAWBACKS OF USING SHAMPOO BARS:
Building up of wax: Shampoo bars contain a high amount of saponified oils in them which can react in water and produce waxy consistency. This wax can stay in your hair until you remove it.
To avoid this drawback, experts advise that you should rinse your hair once or twice with an apple cider vinegar. The acidic content in the vinegar will help to cut off the alkaline waxy consistency and will allow your hair to breathe.
Picking up the right one for you: There are a lot of new brands of shampoo bars coming up in the market these days and they all are based on different needs and types. So, picking up a right shampoo bar for your hair type can be tricky.
Currently, there are three different types of shampoo bars in the market- glycerin-based bars, cold-pressed bars, and surfactant bars.
Cold-pressed bars are the most natural bars which you can even prepare in your own kitchen. You can get these bars easily from the local market or from some natural product company. These are free from chemicals such as paraben and sulfates that can cause harm to your hair.
Glycerin-based bars do not lather much as all the other alternatives and are considered the most gentle bar. It also helps in controlling your ph level.
Surfactant bars provide the best lather and cleansing power to your hair. These also contain sulfates in them which can dry out your hair if you continue using it for a long time. Therefore, it’s better to look for a surfactant bar that uses gentle surfactant in it such as glucoside.
Tangles: People with curly hair often face the problem of tangled hair when they use shampoo bars. The process of rubbing the shampoo bar directing on your hair results in tangling the strands of your hair and make it difficult to comb.
HOW TO USE A SHAMPOO BAR:
- The first and most important step is to saturate your hair to its roots with water. Make sure that your hair is completely wet.
- Gently rub the wet shampoo bar directly on your scalp as you comb. Make sure to continue adding water in order to create a lather.
- Gently massage your scalp and hair. Also, add water whenever needed to form more lather.
- In order to prevent your hair from tangling, then make sure that you always go from top to down like you comb your hair. Do not pile up your hair on top and wash your hair because this can result in tangles in your hair.
- After covering every section of your hair, rinse them with water. Rinsing, again and again, is very important. Rinsing takes a longer time than washing and lather forming steps. Make sure that all the shampoo is rinsed off and no residue if left.
- Repeat the process if desired.
MELT AND POUR SHAMPOO BAR RECIPE
There is nothing better than making your own DIY moisturizing shampoo bar at home and save your money from buying them at some expensive store. It is so simple and you only need a few ingredients to make them. So read this full shampoo bar review in order to make your own bar at home.
- 1 tsp of mango butter
- 2 tsp of castor oil
- 1 lbs of organic goat’s milk
- 20-25 drops of lavender essential oil
- Rectangular or circular soap mold
- A double boiler
- A small spray bottle
- Cut the base of your soap and allow it to melt on low heat.
- Once it melts, add mango butter in it and allow it to melt as well.
- Now remove the heat and add 1 tsp of castor oil in it.
- You can also add lavender oil of high quality.
- Now place the mold on some firm and level place.
- Pour the mixture into the rectangular or circular mold of your choice.
- Now spray the rubbing alcohol in it to prevent air bubbles.
- After this let it cool for a few hours.
- Gently remove the bar from the mold when it solidifies completely.
- Store the bar in some air-tight container where it can stay good for up to a year long.
This shampoo bar will take the place of your shampoo bottles whenever you will travel. It is very handy and requires less space. Also, the ingredients used in this shampoo bar are complete natural and free of chemicals.
Try out this amazing recipe and do let us know in the comment section below that how it actually worked on your hair.